I've decided to take another tack. Top Five Things that are GREAT about paying my taxes:
- Americans are too often thought of and described as "consumers." This is part of being a citizen, which I think is much more important descriptor.
- My taxes fund universal public education. Of course the education system is not perfect, but education is the number one potential equalizer in our society. I did write "potential" intentionally, because we have a long way to go before all kids get the excellent educations they deserve, but at least my tax dollars ensure that everyone gets a chance.
- My taxes are used for "mundane" good, like ensuring clean water and air and safe roads and bridges.
- My taxes are used for "big vision" good, like providing at least a minimal social safety net for people who have been less lucky in life that I have, and supporting a legal system that, for all its flaws, generally bends our moral arc toward justice.
- My taxes support myriad things I personally benefit from every day and don't even notice.
Image credit: Wikipedia author Jnn13