04 January 2013

Friday Top 5

My 2013 resolution is to learn to play poker. And I'm off to a good start, as dear friends hosted a poker party for me on New Year's Day. Seven of us played a full round of everyone getting shot at dealer for 7 card stud, and then two full rounds of Texas Hold 'Em. And Tim did an AMAZING job of putting together cheat sheets about the hands, the rules, the types of games, betting...basically everything you need to know to get started.

And I've already learned some things!
  1. I cannot calculate probabilities in my head on the fly. Well, at least not yet.
  2. I *can* bluff. REALLY well.
  3. If you play long enough, good hands will eventually win out over good bluffing.
  4. You do have to play for some sort of stakes, otherwise the betting gets screwy. But the stakes don't have to be cash (buy in for Monday's game was a bottle of wine per player).
  5. I am going to need more poker buddies. Interested? Ping me at ewengel@yahoo.com.
What are you going to do to push your boundaries and learn something, hopefully while also having fun, in 2013?

No comments: