27 November 2012

#GivingTuesday

Did you know that it's #GivingTuesday?

"What is Giving Tuesday?" you ask.

From their website:

On Tuesday November 27, 2012 charities, families, businesses and individuals are coming together to transform the way people think about, talk about and participate in the giving season.

It’s a simple idea. Find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to join in acts of giving. Tell everyone you can about what you are doing and why it matters. Join a national celebration of our great tradition of generosity.

At a time of the year when it's easy to focus on what I want to get (Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and the whole acquisitive, commercial holiday season), Giving Tuesday asks us to focus on what I can give to organizations that make my own local community better.

The site allows you to search based on your state. Here's the list of participating nonprofits in DC, for instance. (I'm a firm believer in thinking globally and giving locally.)

I'm personally supporting Woolly Mammoth Theater Company. I've been a long-time supporter of Woolly. They mount productions that challenge me and make me think. They do tremendous things to support the work of new and minority playwrights. They make the arts accessible to everyone with all sorts of free and discounted ticket programs.

I'd love it if you'd support them, too, but really, *any* community based nonprofit group you choose to support today will benefit - and so will you.

Edited 11/28/12 to add: I'm excited to report, per Woolly Mammoth, that they exceded their fundraising goal for the day with $10,815 coming in from 49 donors.


No comments: