16 November 2012

Friday Top 5

It's the second of my Month of Thankfulness posts. Having just been through a fairly contentious election, I thought today might be a good time for a Friday Top 5 focused on what I'm thankful for as a citizen of the United States.
  1. I'm thankful that I live in a representative democracy, where many brave, passionate people, like the suffragettes and the civil rights marchers, have fought to make sure every person's vote counts.
  2. I'm thankful that, although we still have a ways to travel, we've made so much progress, even in my lifetime, on issues around race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability/disability, and other key measures of diversity.
  3. I'm thankful for the Bill of Rights. It's hard to pick favorites among them, but I do have to give a major shout out to the First Amendment.
  4. Even though I grouse that the media has become overly beholden to corporations and too many "news" outlets are merely ideological entertainment masquerading as objective journalism, I'm thankful for a free press that is mostly well-intentioned and mostly tries to get the facts straight and reported correctly.
  5. I'm thankful that I live in a country where every day, so many wonderful people fight to increase tolerance, and justice for all people (not just "rich people" or "people who are like me" or "people who believe what I believe"), and to make our society more caring, and to protect our environment and minority rights, and to bring the arts to everyone (not just people who can afford them), and to feed and clothe and shelter people who need that kind of help...and sometimes, sometimes, they even win.
Image credit:BronteHeroine

No comments: