12 April 2012

Brevity is the Soul of Wit

And a picture is worth a thousand words, which is a good thing, because today, I've been putting together my first IGNITE presentation.

For those who aren't familiar with the concept, you get 5 minutes and 20 slides to make your point. But here's the kicker - the slides auto-advance every 15 seconds.

No "I only need this slide up for 10 seconds."

No "I really need at least 20 seconds with this slide."

Nope - 15 seconds, and then the deck is moving on, with or without you.

Now, I present pretty frequently, so I'm used to thinking about my main points, and putting together an outline, and creating slides, and looking for good images to support my points, etc.

But this is totally different - and it's not easy.

The thing that's cool about it is that it makes the presenter (me in this case) think deeply about what she's trying to communicate and how best to convey that with words AND images and get crystal clear about the "so what?" There's no meandering your way through 30 minutes and 15 slides to get to your point. You gotta hit it and quit it.

To quote Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.:
I would not give a fig for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity. 
Somehow, I think he would've been a fan of IGNITE.

Want to see me - and a bunch of really smart, awesome people - throw down? Register for ASAE's Membership, Marketing & Communications Conference in May, or keep an eye on their YouTube channel around late June, when the recordings are likely to go live.

 

1 comment:

Nikki Jeske said...

That's so exciting, Elizabeth! Good luck on your first IGNITE presentation. You're going to knock their socks off. :D