06 February 2012

Always the Last to Know: Cardmunch

I joke a lot about being a closet Luddite. I didn't finally break down and get a smart phone until about a year ago. My Mac Air laptop is about 2 1/2 years old, and the laptop it replaced was about 5 1/2 years old. I don't have an iPad, or any tablet for that matter. And up until a few weeks ago, I still had a giant Rolodex on my desk that I've been lugging around for 15 years.

Which, by the way, was the problem. Without an electronic card reader, there was no way I was going to hand type hundreds of cards into my contact list. So I moved it with me from job to job, along with my lava lamp and my 4 foot inflatable Munch's "The Scream" doll (yes really).

Cardmunch changed all that.

“My name is Elizabeth, and I still have a Rolodex.” But it’s because I have a zillion cards and no card reader, so they just sit there on my desk moldering in their giant circular holder.

Or at least I did, up until the holiday week. 

I had downloaded my new favorite app, Card Munch. It’s put out by LinkedIn. You take a photo of the card with the app, and it translates the card for you, at which point you can, right from the app, add the person to your phone’s contacts, email them, and/or send them a LI invitation.

I used the quiet time over the holidays to GET RID OF my Rolodex – finally! I’ve been carrying that damn thing with me from job to job for 15 years!


No comments: