23 March 2011

What I'm Reading

Long list this week, as I've been gathering these for two weeks, and (apparently) a lot has been happening.

  • "Our best staff person is leaving! Oh no!" Fortune has some advice to help you figure out what to do next.
  • What good is a smartphone if you don't have access to clean water?
  • Do social media for a healthcare organization? You need to check out this wiki.
  • How does Google know where to rank pages?(Yes, this includes actual mathematical formulas, many of which I don't understand, but the article is cool anyway.)
  • I'm enjoying Shelly Alcorn's "Words Make Worlds" (or, as I tend to think of it, "Words have power.") series.
  • Erin Fuller wrote a great article for the March issue of Associations Now on switching to a freemium dues model.
  • Follow on to the Red Cross mis-tweet: donate a pint.
  • And what NOT to do with a mis-tweet.
  • Would you know how to tweet an emergency?
  • Jamie Notter asks: which is more important - being "right" or accomplishing real change?
  • Why should anyone "like" you? John Haydon provides some tips for attracting FB fans.
  • Don't get too attached to your Twitter client - it may be in danger of extinction.
  • MGI's annual Membership Marketing Benchmark report is out!
  • Big Ideas from SxSW (for those of us who couldn't go).
  • It's not quite as comprehensive, but check out Maddie Grant's cool Storify from Great Ideas (also for those of us who couldn't go).
  • I've been enjoying (guilty pleasure alert) the Hunger Games triology. Yes, I'm aware that there are "young adult" novels, but they're surprisingly well-written and fast-paced, and they're dystopian science fiction, which is one of my favorite genres. I also recently finished Let Me In, a Swedish horror novel whose protagonist is a lonely, bullied adolescent who becomes friends with an adolescent vampire. Don't worry - I'm not just reading fluff. I've just started Origin by Diana Abu-Jaber. It tackles questions of identity and alienation against the backdrop of a suspense-filled plot.

No comments: