There's been some blowback. To say the least.
But here's the thing: it's not personal. Really it's not. That's why, if you're one of those who did get cut, I'm probably still following you on Twitter and/or connected to you on LinkedIn. I'm not trying to be a douchebag, and I'm definitely not trying to say I'm too "important" for anyone.
What I am saying is that I'm really, really busy. We all are. Cases in point:
- I haven't seen my best friend from grad school in over 2 years, and he lives less than 100 miles from me.
- I have two nieces and a nephew I adore, and I only see them about 2-3 times a year. I talk to their father, my only sibling, maybe twice a year outside those visits.
- Up until recently, when I've been fortunate enough to see him 3 times in the last month, I had only seen one of my best friends in DC twice since his son was born. His son will be two in two weeks.
- I haven't seen a dear girlfriend and her new son in over 6 months. Other close friends? I saw them in the past week, but it had been 3+ months since the last time, in which time their little girl got her first tooth (two more on the way) and is standing with almost no help.
- Another girlfriend and I recently had to set up a regular monthly "date" to make sure we didn't fall off each others' calendars, and she and I have been close for almost a decade.
What hard choices have you made recently to enable you to focus on what - and who - really matters?