26 January 2011

What I'm Reading

  • Some good advice (via my CEO) for being more efficient with technology in 2011.
  • Great tips from the Harvard Business Review blog for managing millennials.
  • Are you wasting your biggest social media asset by prohibiting staff from interacting on socmed platforms?
  • "But what if someone says something bad about us?" Advice from the National Wildlife Federation's Danielle Brigida.
  • Hone your content like Jerry Seinfeld hones jokes - no, really!
  • How do you know your marketing efforts are working?
  • Jamie Notter for the SocialFish on clarity, control and boundaries.
  • I'm finally reading Seth Godin's Tribes. I know it's total heresy to say this, but it's not doing much for me. It feels slapped together, like a greatest hits collection from his blog. I think it would benefit from SERIOUS editing down to a short essay. Then again, that won't sell any books.
  • I'm also reading The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells. Awesome Gothic creepiness!

2 comments:

Hecate said...

Lately, I'm noticing a number of what are really essays that have been puffed up with filler and sold as books. Dark Green Religion is a recent example. Great, insightful, important essay. Flabby book.

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

My favorite of these? John Rawls' "Justice as Fairness" was a great 30 page essay. In "Theory of Justice," he took 625 pages to say basically the same thing. And yes, I've read them both in their entirety.