My Top 5 Tips for Driving in Snow
(and yes, I do know better than you do - I was raised and learned to drive in Pennsylvania)
- You have to clean off your car. Yes, your ENTIRE car. Yes, even you, Mr. SUV Owner. Yes, even the roof. I know it's high, but getting that monstrosity was your choice. Get a step ladder.
- SLOW DOWN. I know you're really excited that there's less traffic than usual. Slow down anyway. No, slower. No, SLOOOOOWER.
- Normal braking distance? Triple it. Minimum.
- For those of you with automatic transmissions (which seems to be pretty much everyone other than me these days): you know that mysterious "low" gear your car has? This is what it's for - use it.
- If it's icy, just stay home. You cannot drive in ice. No, not even you, Mr. SUV Owner.