20 October 2010

What I'm Reading

I'm on a plane on my way back from the 2010 NACHRI Annual Leadership Conference today, so not much reading happened this week. I thought I'd share a list of my favorite books from when I was a kid instead:
  • Blueberries for Sal and One Morning in Maine - two classic books by Robert McClosky.  We went to Maine for vacation the summer when I was 3, and these books always reminded me of that magic time.
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams.  My disintegrating paperback copy of this is still on my bookshelves.  The heroic tale of Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig and the other survivors of the Sandleford warren still makes me cry.
  • The Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books - hilarious books by Betty Macdonald that teach children how to behave while also making their parents giggle.
  • Charlotte's Web by E.B. White - I played Charlotte in the school play, you know.
  • From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - after reading this E. L. Konigsburg gem, I secretly dreamed of running away and hiding out in the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
  • Harriet the Spy - what misfit little girl DOESN'T love Louise Fitzhugh's memorable heroine?
  • The Borrowers by Mary Norton.  I spent YEARS looking for Borrowers in just about every house I entered.
  • Kermit the Hermit - all Bill Peet books are charming, but the one about the grumpy, greedy crab was my favorite.
  • The Giving Tree - The subtleties of Shel Silverstein's classic are probably lost on kids, but I still loved the simple story of the tree that loved the little boy.
  • A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet - this fantastic fantasy series by Madeleine L'Engle rocked my world in elementary school.
  • Anything by Dr. Seuss, particularly The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.  Although my mother swears Fox in Socks was my favorite (and her least, to read aloud anyway).
  • Nancy Drew books - although I preferred the earlier ones, by the original "Carolyn Keene."  My friends and I used to swap these.  And who didn't love plucky, brave Nancy? Ned was so unworthy of her, but at least she always had Bess and George at her side.
By now, I've bought most of these for my nieces and nephew, but I think I need to go get some copies for myself (or liberate them from my parents' basement the next time I visit).

No comments: