29 October 2010

Friday Top 5

This weekend is, of course, Halloween. In honor of that, my Top 5 favorite spooky books:

(Realize that I'm not a big horror fan, so if you're looking for Stephen King, you're in the wrong place.)
  1. The Fall of the House of Usher. Nobody does creepy like Poe.
  2. And Then There Were None. Great Agatha Christie in which 10 people are trapped on an island by storm and are being picked off, one at a time.
  3. The Poseidon Adventure. My mom let me read this the summer before 6th grade. I was a late night reader when I wasn't in school, and I loved this book and couldn't put it down, but also my vivid imagination wouldn't let me sleep after picturing those trapped people trying to make their way through a world turned upside down.
  4. Dracula by Bran Stoker. Only down side? I tend to root for the bad guy, and Dracula loses in the end.
  5. Rebecca. Daphne Du Maurier's book is really more of a gothic romance, but it's also quite creepy.

Image credit: BBC 2007 pumpkin gallery

No comments: