28 July 2010

What I'm Reading

  • Does "free" really work?
  • 14 (very good) reasons I won't follow you on Twitter.
  • Jamie Notter has a great Big Think-y post on design thinking, organizational design, and how they relate to social media and organizational silos for the SocialFish. 
  • Two great case studies:  relaunching your FB presence (via John Haydon) and the MPI "paying for positive coverage" fracas (via Maddie Grant) - oh, and the short version is that they didn't, but they could've been a little more clear/forthcoming about what was going on.
  • In honor of this past Sunday's season 4 premiere, Harvard Business Review tackles "What Mad Men Gets Right About Innovation" (and no, it's not the critical importance of daytime cocktails to the creative process, which someone should really write about pronto).
  • More on Mad Men - KiKi L'Italien (rock star association tech consultant by day, equally rock star makeup artist by night) posted on The Mad Men Effect, just in time for a Mad Men party I'm attending this weekend.  I'll be going as Joan, natch. 
  • Philadelphia Eagles training camp started this week, and we're just over 2 weeks from the first pre-season game (GAH!  must get back into football blogging shape ASAP!), so I'm reading all the camp coverage in preparation for my first-ever visit to training camp in just over a week!
  • I don't usually get all political up in here, but recent circumstances have led me to post this incredibly well-written screed against the myth of white oppression by people of color. Can people of any race be racist? Sure. But it's not oppression without power to back it up (thanks to my awesome friend Sarah for the link).
  • I finished The 19th Wife - not bad, and I didn't guess the killer before the end (always a good thing in a murder mystery), and I just started The World That Made New Orleans by Ned Sublette.  I'm only two chapters in, and I'm already loving it, which is not surprising, as I tend to devour anything about my favorite place, but this seems to be a well-written and entertaining history of the founding and development of the city.

No comments: