14 April 2010

What I'm Reading

  • Most marketers are lousy conversationalists, which, Jason Falls argues, is a real problem for marketers trying to operate on social networks.
  • "Optimization? We don't need no stinkin' site optimization!" Uh, yes you do.
  • "ROI! ROI! ROI!" The problem is, we have too much data and too little insight. (Shout-out to Maddie Grant for the link.)
  • Speaking of ROI, a lot of calculations focus on creating the biggest "R" possible. Andy Sernovitz asks: what if we shifted our focus to keeping the "I" small?
  • Crowdsourcing moves to health care - is health care ready?
  • Talk about Battle of the Titans! Google Docs v. MS Office, and Google's betting the house on the cloud, real time collaboration, and simplicity. And they tend to win.
  • Eric Tsai's Dragon-Style Google/Twitter Fu is mighty indeed. Even better? He's willing to share his secrets.
  • I just finished the latest issue of MIT's Technology Review - it was a special issue focusing on the top 50 most innovative companies. Lots of good stuff on solar and on personalized medicine facilitated by work on the human genome, plus a feature article on Twitter.
  • I'm also re-reading Leon Uris's classic WWII novel Battle Cry. This was one of the first "adult" books my mom gave me to read when I was about 12. It's just as riveting and compelling as I remember. If you've never read it, I highly recommend it.
  • I'm also reading everything I can about the new HBO series "Treme." We just ordered HBO specifically so we could watch it. It's written & directed by the team behind "The Wire" and is set in New Orleans in the months after Hurricane Katrina, focusing on the lives of regular New Orleanians as they attempt to rebuild. I'm not a native, but I know the city and culture relatively well for a non-resident, and I'm loving the fact that they're not going to explain everything to you (don't know what a Big Chief is or why it's significant that multiple social aid & pleasure clubs are second lining together in last year's outfits? too bad) and that lots of local musicians are getting some air time, including my secret trumpet boyfriend, Kermit Ruffins.


1 comment:

shoegal said...

I hear you have a hot date with Kermit next week ;-)