Annual pilgrimage to the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival kicks off next week. This will be our 5th year in a row. My Top 5 Jazz Fest Moments:
- Everything about 2006 - it was the first time the city was open for business after Hurricane Katrina. My beloved Crescent City was still on her knees, but she was fighting to get up, and I was there to bear witness.
- Getting to meet Fats Domino at Tipitina's
- Kermit Ruffins at Vaughn's. Actually, that's any Thursday in New Orleans, but it's a particularly fun show during Fest.
- Prejean's quail, pheasant, and andouille gumbo. It's, like, the best thing you'll ever eat.
- Lunch at Commander's Palace the Monday after Fest - make sure to ask to be seated in the room with the big party that comes in every year.