31 March 2010

What I'm Reading

  • Next time you're at an event, Jamie Notter encourages you to expand your horizons.
  • How the Mayo Clinic wins with social media (an interview with Lee Aase).
  • Social connection --> increased wallet share.
  • Protecting your brand in social media - how NOT to do it (courtesy of Nestle). Bonus round: a follow up story and some tips on what Nestle SHOULD have done.
  • What do David Lee Roth and brown M&Ms have to do with your association? A lot.
  • More goodness from John Haydon: do people really need your online community? This is particularly timely for associations, as we're all hurrying into having proprietary member communities. The Hourglass Blog also has an interesting take on this idea.
  • Lifehacker takes on Twitter & upping your "visible IQ" (love that term).
  • Amber Naslund brings it to 9 social media topics that need to die - go girl!
  • Scott Briscoe asks the provocative question "Why do consultants suck?" on Acronym and sparks a really interesting discussion in the comments (as a former - and maybe future? one never knows - consultant, I'd say Scott is spot-on).
  • Jeff Hurt tells us that the 60/90 minute conference session is dead. Here's hoping!
  • Seth Godin on how not knowing where the "enough" point is can keep us from doing anything. He's talking about philanthropy, but I also think it's relevant to what we ask of our volunteers. If volunteering looks like a bottomless pit of obligation, there won't be too many people excited about jumping in.
  • Speaking of volunteering, check out Deirdre Reid's brilliant New Volunteer Manifesto.
  • Finally, I've just started James Hynes's new book Next. He's one of my favorite authors, so I suspect this will excellent, but life has been so busy lately I've had time to do little more than crack the cover and pop in a bookmark.
Edited to add: wow, Scott Briscoe's post got pulled. I would assume this was because some un-named portion of the consultant crowd got their panties in a twist over it. But again, I think it was right on, and I've been a consultant and hired plenty of consultants in my 13 years in association management. Scott's main point was that we're all too safe - association execs often (although certainly not always) hire consultants for political cover to validate decisions that have already been made. "It's better if a consultant says it." Which is a waste of everyone's time and money, in my opinion. BOTH sides of the relationship have to be willing to take more risks - I shouldn't hire a consultant to tell me what I want to hear, and when I'm consulting, I shouldn't just tell my clients what they want to hear. If you're a consultant and that upsets you, maybe you should check out another line of work.



5 comments:

Hecate said...

Saw that Nestle thing a few days ago. Pretty amazing.

Maggie McGary said...

Proof that you can take it down but not get rid of it entirely: the cached version of the now-gone Acronym post about consultants. Don't know how long this link will work, but here's trying:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Cx4zclmSAOoJ:blogs.asaecenter.org/Acronym/2010/03/consultant_wasteland.html+Why+consultants+suck+Acronym&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

Thanks for the link Mags

John Haydon said...

Elizabeth - Thanks so much for including my article in your post. Oh, and thanks for turning me onto James Hynes. See you soon!

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

@John - if you haven't read anything by Hynes, I would start with Publish and Perish, his first novel (actually 3 longish short stories). LOVE!