- Going to hear the Eric Felten Orchestra performing the Duke Ellington Nutcracker Suite at Blues Alley. They perform one night only, and this has become an annual tradition with my spouse, followed by driving around the monuments with the top down (assuming it's not raining or snowing). It was December 8 this year, and usually takes place within the first two weeks of December. Also, it's awesomesauce.
- Visiting the National Christmas Tree. Not to see the big tree, which is hideous, but to see the 56 smaller trees around it that are each decorated with ornaments provided by the 50 states, 5 territories, and DC.
- Going skating in the rink in the sculpture garden at the National Gallery of Art. Rockefeller Center, schmockefeller center!
- Visiting the US Botanic Gardens. Not only do they decorate very nicely, it's a good place to go warm up after your skating expedition!
- The annual Santa Stumble bar crawl, benefiting the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Fund. You also missed this for 2009, but that gives you almost an entire year to put together your costume for NEXT year.
18 December 2009
Top 5 Things to do in DC to Celebrate the Holidays (shout out to Deb for the idea!) (and yes, you have already missed some of these this year, but you can put them on your calendar for NEXT year)