09 October 2009

Friday Top 5

This tribute comes a little late, but John Hughes died not too long ago. His movies had, as for any Child of the 80's, a profound effect on me growing up. And, as my spouse has observed, most of the actors were actually in (or close to) high school when the movies were made AND looked and dressed like people you could actually, you know, know.

Hence this late tribute - my top 5 favorite quotes from John Hughes movies.
  1. "Not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon: 'I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.' Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off of people. " Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  2. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Also Ferris
  3. "I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek." Sixteen Candles
  4. "Lake. Big lake." Also Sixteen Candles (and ties with "Oh sexy girlfriend!" which my spouse is known to warble at me at random intervals)
  5. "Love's a bitch, Duck. Love's a bitch. " Pretty in Pink
Nostalgic now? Check out this nice tribute at Salon.com.


No comments: