13 May 2009

What I'm Reading

What with my entire family descending upon me for my cousin's wedding this past weekend, taking the 'rents to Ragtime at the KC for their anniversary/Mother's Day, a heinous cold, and trying to get ready to present on social media policy at the HRA-NCA conference yesterday, I haven't been doing a lot of reading lately. However, I have gotten to....
  • All the Power of A stuff. I think Maggie McGary captures my thoughts best with her post The Power of....Huh?. Man, I leave town for two weeks and ASAE launches a whole new initiative the purpose of which is...well, I haven't quite figured that out yet. Little help?
  • Rohit Bhargava clues us in on how to live blog/twitter an event effectively. I did ask in advance of HRA-NCA if there was an established conference hashtag (answer: no), and at the beginning of my session, I asked if anyone was on Twitter (answer: yes) at the moment (answer: no) and could live tweet the session (answer: no). Catch up, people!
  • I'm a little behind on my Associations Now reading and I haven't cracked the cover of the May crowdsourced issue yet, but I did spot a few great pieces in the April issue: advice for extending your meeting content beyond the confines of the actual physical event, Jeff De Cagna encouraging us all to embrace the revolution, and a great story about how AIHA successfully centralized their marketing efforts.
  • And Lindy Dreyer posted the final entry in her social media policy setting series just in time for me to mention it at my presentation. Go Lindy!


4 comments:

Lindy Dreyer said...

Thanks for the shout out, E. Loved your slides for your preso, by the way. They're on the Beaconfire site, right? URL?

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

The slides and all the handouts (plus Laurel Papworth's fab roundup of social media policies available online) are all at the BF blog - http://www.beaconfire.com/blog/2009/05/12/setting-technology-policies-that-make-sense-in-a-web-20-world/

Maggie said...

The thing about the Power of A campaign is that, in my opinion, the methodology of the whole thing is fundamentally wrong. To do a Groundswell analogy, it's like Ogilvy designed a campaign that is dependent on creators and critics in order to succeed, only the audience are either spectators or inactives. E.g. Ogilvy/ASAE wants a bunch of association executives to write blog posts, comment on posts--even create video--ignoring the fact that most association execs are scared to even go there. What if the campaign were aimed at "emerging professionals"--wanting them to contribute content--well, then, there'd probably be a lot more content and it might have a better chance of succeeding.

So far it looks like the only ones writing posts are ASAE staff. The problem is this--the people who are likely to want to contribute to this kind of thing (say, me, for example) aren't able to really do so because they're not the spokesperson for their association. While I did volunteer to be a guest poster--Chris Vest at ASAE was very appreciative and enthusiastic, which I appreciated--I don't have it in me to go 20 rounds with senior staff here who don't get social media and only see either a chance to soap-box or a huge risk of criticism. I tried it and after one 45 minute meeting and a few rounds of emails JUST to establish that we should participate in this thing, I just gave up.

Then I saw someone tweet something the other day about an email they just got from ASAE asking for more money for the campaign--anyone know what that's about?

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

@Maggie - got the same email myself and deleted it. I can't even figure out what the dealio is with the campaign in the first place, so I'm HIGHLY unlikely to give them money for it.