17 April 2009

Friday Top 5


Once again, in honor of my impending trip to the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (I leave in exactly 6 days) my Top 5 Favorite New Orleans Musicians (narrowing it down to 5 was NOT easy):
  1. Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews, because his talent just blows me away. And he's maybe 22!
  2. Kermit Ruffins, because he's our closest current incarnation of Louis Armstrong and because I love the hats. See you at Vaughn's next Thursday night, Kermit!
  3. Charmaine Neville, because it just doesn't get much better than "Right Key (But the Wrong Keyhole)" at Snug Harbor and because of the incredible work she does nurturing young musicians (shout out to Donald Harrison on that count, too)
  4. Delfayo Marsalis, because I will NEVER forget seeing him and his quintet jamming with the Treme Brass Band at the Funky Butt.
  5. Evan Christopher, who better play another gig at Donna's this year, or Dave and Jim will be VERY disappointed.
Photo from the Jazz Fest site - it's the official 2009 Congo Square poster


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

shoegal said...

Evan Christopher! my secret jazz clarinetist boyfriend (sigh)