04 March 2009

Always the Last to Post - Great Ideas

(I do have an excuse – I went almost straight from sunny Miami to snowy Seattle to visit a client out there.)

Scenes from Great Ideas:

YAP can party, part 1: for me, the conference opened with an unofficial YAP meet up in the Champions Sports Bar on Friday night, with all the usual suspects showing up as people’s flights got in.

Saturday, Dan Roam kicked us off with a presentation on creative problem solving based on his book, The Back of the Napkin. As someone who is definitely a “red pen” type, the idea of trying to sketch answers to problems is more than a little terrifying. But I loved his contention that anyone can solve any problem s/he can articulate at all with pictures, the simpler the better. Now I just have to get over my fear of drawing unrecognizable stick figures and try it. ASAE's posted video of the session.

Lindy Dreyer and Scott Briscoe rocked it out with a double session on Blogging and Twitter in the Social Media Lounge. I joined Twitter after the Technology Conference a month ago, but it wasn’t until I installed and started using Tweet Deck during their presentation that I finally started to get it. I was live tweeting what was happening, picked up @JeffHurt as a follower, and was able to ask his questions and get responses for him and back to him in the session. How cool is that?

Lindy and Scott also raised two important points about blogging: one, that you drive traffic just as well by being thought-provoking as you do by being controversial; and two, that there are LOTS of ways to measure the impact of a blog that have nothing to do with the number of comments you get. And someone in the audience posed a great question: when does social media move from the midnight hour "I'm doing this on my own time because I enjoy it and/or it's the right thing to do" to a 9-to-5 job?

YAP can party, part 2: Purdy Lounge. The first rule of Purdy Lounge is you don’t talk about Purdy Lounge. The second rule of Purdy Lounge is you do not talk about Purdy Lounge. Fortunately, LOTS of people took pictures! I don't know what was in those blue Yaptacular drinks, but Steve the Bartender, my hat is off to you!

Sunday morning, Jason Della Rocca's and I gave a repeat of the session Amy Hissrich and I did on wikis in the Social Media Lounge at the annual last August, but with a twist: Jason and I divided our participants into groups and had them write on flip charts everything they knew about:
  • the uses of wikis
  • the technology and tools
  • management issues and questions
  • "the bad stuff" (aka legalities)
By the second round, our clever session participants had figured out that we were doing collaborative creation of knowledge in a way that encouraged people to focus on the process rather than the technology (which can scare people). The second half of the session was a debrief of all the information people had posted and their questions.

To make it even more meta, I posted the session notes to the Associapedia entry on wikis afterwards - go check it out & add stuff!

A bunch of us had presented Sunday morning and it was a GORGEOUS day, so the better part of wisdom for the afternoon was an unsession by the pool. I won't steal Sterling's thunder, but I will point out that I think we brainstormed the future of integrated (online and off, pre- during, and post-) events. No one cares about the glass - they only care about what's IN the glass. And once the glass is gone, what happens to the contents? Why does it have to go away, too? No tweets because I didn't want my laptop to get wet - and I had yet another "ah ha!" Twitter moment when I got back online and saw the plaintive "where did everyone go?" messages.

At that evening's reception, I hooked up with some great association types who were very au courant about Miami. We headed down to South Beach to the Van Dyke Cafe for dinner and live music. It was the first time I spent an evening out in the United States where most of the evening took place in a language I don't speak. Which I think was a phenomenal statement on the role of globalization in our society, and our need, as association professionals and Americans more generally, to broaden our knowledge and experiences to be ready to engage the world.

Monday, I must admit to skipping Patti Digh's session. I think I'm categorically too cynical and probably would have spent the entire time tweeting snarky remarks. I texted Maddie near the end to see how it was going, and she texted me back that everyone was crying. Which is great for them, but SO not my scene. If it IS yours, check out the session video.

I did, however, go to Jamie Notter and Jeff De Cagna's totally tubular session on Leadership Lessons from 80's Music. Apparently, we have Jeff, a well-known lover of 80's music, to thank for the tunes angle, but the lessons themselves were very timely:
  1. Embrace Common Purpose
  2. Everyone Leads
  3. Be Global
  4. Be Open
  5. Learn about Science
  6. Learn about Generations
Jamie's blogging in more depth about several of the topics on Get Me Jamie Notter, so go check it out.

(It also reminds me that I need to go hit iTunes for some critical missing elements in my own 80's playlist.)

After MORE COWBELL, it was time for a session on ASHA's use of social media led by Maggie McGary that touched on a new research report by Stratton Publishing, and then back to the airport.

Want more?
(yep, this is also this week's What I'm Reading blog roundup post)


1 comment:

Lindy Dreyer said...

*blush*
Thank you so much for your feedback on the session that Scott and I led. As a relatively new speaker, it meant a lot to have a friend with your experience (and great speaker ratings) in our session.