01 October 2008

What I'm Reading

  • Everything negative I can find about Sarah Palin (which is pretty much everything). It's like a train wreck, and I can't seem to look away, as she staggers from disastrous public statement to disastrous public statement.
  • "Get to vs. Have to" on Seth Godin's blog. This is the world I'd like to be living in. Unfortunately, I spend far more of my time on process than I'd like to and than I think is necessary. Sigh. Rant for another day.
  • Productivity explained in 30 seconds. I don't always keep up with Jared's blog, but I loved this post. Know someone who always seems to get more done than other people? I'll bet cash money this post explains how they do it.
  • All the interesting stuff in the September issue of Associations Now on telecommuting and other forms of alternative staffing. I've been a fan for years, and have worked with employers who've ranged in support of the practice, but I think, particularly as sources of energy become more scarce and expensive, as commuting takes longer and longer, and as more of us are struggling harder and harder to balance work and life, more of them are going to have to get on board.
  • In transition to my next book, and thinking of finally reading Fight Club. Anybody read it? Thumbs up or down?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Lisa Junker said...

Thank you so much for the link to Associations Now, Elizabeth! I'm a telecommuting fan, too, and I agree that it's going to become a more important option as energy costs rise (and, in areas like DC, as commutes lengthen).

What's hard for me to understand is the organizations that categorically don't allow telecommuting. (I understand not allowing it for specific positions, or for specific staff who have problems with it, but that's not the same thing as not allowing anyone to telecommute.) I tried to start a discussion on Acronym once to see if someone could explain why an organization would refuse to allow telecommuting, and I never really found a good explanation. It's a mystery to me!

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

I think people are unwilling to state the real reason for disallowing telecommuting, which is that they don't trust their staff members to do their jobs if they aren't being watched. Which is a failure of management, not of staff.